Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tanti Aguri, Italia!

Well, today is a big day for the tiny country of Italy and the Italians are very proud. It is the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy! While Italians are very locally oriented and love their home towns, today is a day for everyone to celebrate Italy as a whole. It is actually interesting because Italy is a fairly young country, only unified in 1861 and has a very long past. There are Italian flags everywhere and every store display is themed Red, White, and Green. These displays include shampoo bottles, lacoste shirts, and furla bags. Needless to say that Ireland may have St.Patricks day, but today belongs to Italy.

On a side note, today I watched the Amanda Knox movie. If you are unfamiliar with this story, it is about the murder of a college student that happened right here in the little town of Perugia. It is actually a really sad story and the fact that there is lifetime movie about it is a little disturbing. I did enjoy getting to see some scenes from around Perugia during the movie, even though not all of them are here. Basically like all lifetime movies, it was a little sappy (fantastic) and for the most part poorly acted, which makes for a good dinner and movie night with friends. Hayden Panettiere was a super creepy lead role, which I guess when they are trying to portray a murderer is a good thing. Regardless, it is sometimes hard to remember that this event actually did happen and there are actually trials about 5 minutes from my apartment every Saturday and I live about 2 minutes from the University for Foreigners she attended.

In general, if you asked me right now, I would tell you that Perugia is the most beautiful place on earth but this week has been pushing my limit on crappy weather. Perugia is beautiful, but in the rain I would place it on the list of sad places on earth. Not that anywhere is fun in the rain, but I feel like since I am in such a wonderful place, all rain does is keep me from seeing pretty things. Perugia needs to step up its game because I need to go sit on the steps and be in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment