Friday, March 18, 2011

I fall more in love everyday.

So literally, I am in love with Perugia. You can ask my friend Kelsey, as she probably heard me say it about 987988 times on our walk today. There is nothing more beautiful to me than this small town on a hill. Today, her and I literally walked around to see what we could find. There is something charming about getting lost in Perugia. We walked anywhere and everywhere and I saw the actual University of Perugia today, after 2 months, its about time I did. The school is a lot bigger than I expected, but the exterior is really beautiful.

Before and after our walk, we spent some time on the stairs. I know I have written about the stairs before, but honestly I have a love of them. There is something about sitting on the steps in the sunshine and just watching life happen before your eyes, as corny as that sounds. Some of my personal favorite sights on the steps include small children chasing pigeons, parents chasing their small children chasing pigeons, unknown dogs wondering around, and seeing friends and family meet up. I want to live on these steps, but as far as I can tell as long as at night time it remains a popular drinking place amongst college kids, I do not want to wake up surrounded by the remains of someone's rough night. There is something peaceful about them and majestic even if I am the only one who thinks of these stairs in that light. Not to mention, the stairs true highlight, I believe they are the only porportionate stairs in the entire city. Italy is not known for its easy staircases.

So I realize that I mention food alot when I write, but mostly because it is something I am asked about a lot living in Italy. So I thought I would share about a very special resteraunt I ate at with my food class this week. Not that I am fortunate enough for my teacher to take us all out, but once a month he picks a place and the first 5 students to respond get to go and have him buy us drinks and side dishes with our meal. I got to sit at his table for this one and it was incredible, probably the best food I have had thus far in Perugia. The place is technically an illegal restraunt because by law it does not exist. When you go you fill out a form and you join the association for the rights of the elderly. By doing so you are joining the "club" and can eat there. Not sure how this works, but basically the little Costa Riccan lady doesn't pay taxes, the food is cheap, and I now have a membership card. The food is phenomenal, she is known for her guacomol which is just cut up and marinated avacado and tomato. I personally have tried the farfalle there which is little bowtie pastas with pine nuts, shrimp, basil, and cheese. HEAVENLY. Also she cooks everything herself and the potatoes, if you get them, you can actually watch her stick in the fire while you are waiting. For side dishes they have wonderful baked potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil - and if you want it, a little gorgonzola cheese. Also, I would recommend the grilled zuchinni and eggplant. Please do not get concerned about me eating all of this in one sitting ,it was more of me trying everything. Anyways the place is precious, and called Osteria del Tempo Perso, which translates literally to "Lost Time." The name is correct because with a group of 8 people, countless amounts of food, and 4 liters of wine, we never noticed we were there for almost 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment