Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Twas The Night Before Hartsfield-Jackson Airport...

So its the night before I have to leave and I think it took until about...uh yesterday to actually get real when I had to say goodbye to my niece and nephew. The packing process is done and really has been for about two days. I wish I had taken pictures because my room was quite a site.

I am actually anal when it comes to packing and have written about 20 lists of everything I need. My biggest advice to someone who is packing for 4 months would be 2 things. The first is when packing, use your scale. Airlines used to allow 70 pounds and now allow 50, and my checked bag is exactly 49.5 pounds. I am very sure of this. My other thing would be to take caution in following the suggested packing list, or at least the one recommended by my school. Now, I may be eating my words come May 8th, but there is no way on this earth that a 20 year old college student could live off of 3 "wash and wear outfits," 1 dress, 1 jacket, 2 pairs of shorts, and 6 pairs of underwear. This is four months after all.

It's actually not totally sunk in yet that I will be living not only not at PC for a semester, but in another country in a totally different part of the world. The culture is different, the food is different, and well at PC I get two cars worth of stuff to bring with me. I am excited to see what Perugia has in store for me and ready to see how I will adapt to the things. So to end my little ramble I thought I would come up with a list of things to adjust to, both positive and just interesting:
1. Most obviously, the language. (hello and wine will get me through)
2. Wine is cheaper than water.
3. Lack of central air conditioning.
4. Regular Use of Public Transportation
5. No internet in my apartment.
6. Super conservative use of energy. (as in no laundry and blowdrying at the same time)
7. No dryers.
8. Taking all classes that don't relate to anything I am studying.
9. Having one suitcase worth of clothes to last me 4 months (if you can't tell, im struggling with this one)
10. No puppy to crawl into bed with me at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment