Emily and I went on yet another search to find her hummus. If anyone knows where in the surrounding areas to find her some hummus, she would be most appreciative. On our adventure we decided we might as well try to find the international food specialty store that is far outside of the city center. Neither one of us being in good shoes, we decided to go on ahead and walk around even though we had been warned that we would have to cross multiple lanes of heavy traffic. When in Italy, right? Well we played human frogger a little bit and found a little store and decided to ask for directions. Little did we know that we had stumbled upon a magical wine store. This precious little man who blew us kisses was selling delicious wine from steel vats and fills up water bottles for one euro per liter. After him giving us samples and buying a liter and then getting directions, we were on our way to find the actual international store, the gio. After about two miles, we finally found it and it was definitely worth the wait. We found plaintain chips (a personal favorite of mine) from Costa Rica, Guarana Soda (my sister's favorite) from Brazil, Salsa from Mexico, and chips resembling fritos from Sweeden. Still no hummus for Emily.
Last weekend on Friday I took another trip to Rome. We left at 6:30 am which was definitely one of the most painful mornings yet. After we arrived we went to the train station and had a little free time before we met up with one of the professors from my program. So instead of using this free time to grab breakfast (I had packed a snack), I instead decided to scope out the shopping in the Termini station. Having done some research before leaving I was very much aware that there was a Sephora in this train station and since I was out of facewash, I was bound and determined to find it. And I did.
The main point to our Rome trip though, was not for me to go to a make up store. We actually were going to visit a private art collection at palazza farnese. This exhibit is held in the French Embassy and has never been open to the public before, ever. And after the exhibit closes again in April, will probably never be open again. The place was beautiful, I wish I could have taken pictures, but I did buy a book with pictures and desciptions of the art. There were countless pieces of priceless art, sculptures, and frescos. And even though I am not a huge art person, it was definitely worth the trip. One of the professors from our school just kept coming around and whispering how we would never see this exhibit again and I think she might have cried a little bit because she had taught about all of the pieces of art in there, but had never been able to see them. A little less serious, we also took a trip to the "worlds most famous gelato shop." One of our schools directors told us it was where the Obamas ate when they came to Rome, which to be honest wasn't super impressive to me. But besides my skepticism, the place was amazing. If you ever have a chance in your life, please try champagne gelato, at least try it for me. It was even bubbly just like a glass of champagne. During a little free time we did some wandering and found some sights I had not really seen in Rome before which was nice and since it was my 3rd trip in my life time I really think I can get around Rome quite easily. I actually got Melissa and Emily to every major sight in about 1.5 hours. I could totally get paid to do that.
On Saturday I had a class trip to Siena. It was kind of a cold and muggy day, but Siena was super laid back so it was nice. We went and saw the Basilica of San Dominica which is the pretty little church there and also holds the relics of Saint Catherine. Relics are a big deal to Catholics in Europe and this particular church only has her head and one of her fingers among some of the things she used in her life. The rest of her body is in the church by the Pantheon in Rome. In my class that I went on this trip for, we had studied Siena some and about the Palio. If you have never learned about the Palio, I would seriously watch videos or google it because think of it like the Kentucky Derby on crack. The town of Siena which is only composed of about 50,000 people is divided up into 17 different neighborhoods all called contradas. These contradas are all represented by different animals and twice a year compete in a major horse race, Il Palio. Its insane. The jockeys ride bareback and use the whips to whip each other and the horse doesn't even have to have a jockey on to win the race. We got to have a private tour of a contrada's museum and church and see all of the banners they have won and see where they hold regular meetings.
Some other Tidbits:
- The Italian Mail system, yet another thing I do not understand. I received two packages this past week. One was sent a week before I recieved it. One was sent a month before I received it. I got the one that was sent a week ago first. Regardless, I have some more clothes from home! And upon opening the box my excitement was that they smelled like America...and Tide Total Care.
- Bar Music. Italians may have food, soccer, and beautiful sights, but be proud America - When Italians want to dance they listen to our music. If you walk into a pub on any given day (Italians are not picky people, we can hear them drinking literally in the streets every night) you will hear current US hits. And by current, I actually mean songs that were popular about a year ago, but probably just in remix. That, and the occasional Barbra Streisand song.
Believe it or not with all of these random things that I write about that I do, I actually do work here as well and had my first midterm today. A test? In Italy? Completely unfair.
Paris tomorrow, Can't Wait!
Caio!
No comments:
Post a Comment