Monday, April 25, 2011

The Anti Camera

So here is my current thought on cameras. I am almost completely against them. I so often think about why I am taking pictures or why people take pictures in general and I can't help but think that we take pictures for other people more often than not. I mean, I enjoy going back and looking at pictures every once in a while and printing them to have in frames. But when we post pictures online or put them in frames it kind of seems like we just want to have them for the enjoyment of other people so we can show them what we have done. This semester this has come to mind so many times traveling with different people. I have caught myself several times so busy taking pictures that I am not experiencing moments. Towards the end of the semester the number of pictures I have taken has drastically decreased mostly because I am more into mental images and experiencing them than making sure I have a picture to show someone that I did something. Some of my friends probably have gotten annoyed by my anti-picture takingness lately, but I think it makes things more special. I mean, I want a picture of me in front of something really special but I do not need my face in front of every monument or a picture of every meal I ate. My roommate and I actually don't allow cameras at dinners anymore because it just takes away from the experience. I think the whole point of studying abroad has been to immerse myself in the Italian culture and to date I have never seen an Italian pull out a camera and snap a shot of their pizza.

I know this is a little wordy, but I thought I might explain my thoughts on this as well as procrastinate studying for my 2 exams tomorrow. My pictures have come to be very meaningful now, though. I will probably write again in like 2 hours when I get tired of studying again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment